Accounting Software Upgrade vs Migration: 6 Questions to Answer Before You Decide
By Alan Hardy, Executive Vice President of Cloud and Migrations at SWK Technologies
To migrate, or not to migrate? Yes, that is the question facing many businesses today as they consider the current accounting system they are running, and whether to migrate to a more complete ERP system. Here’s what you need to consider when planning for your accounting system changes.
First, a quick definition
The acronym “ERP” stands for Enterprise Resource Planning, and simply refers to a software system that engages and includes everyone within the company, not just the accounting department.
The trouble with upgrades
Upgrading an existing accounting software system may be cheaper than buying all-new software, but it can still be quite costly—and it may not get you any more functionality than you had before. After all, it’s the same software, just upgraded! A migration to a complete ERP system may be a much more strategic decision, relative to your projected future growth and goals.
What areas of functionality are you missing? More complete ERP systems include things like:
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management) Software
- Document Management
- Help Desk / Contract Management
- Alerts & Approvals / Workflow
- eCommerce, Customer Portals, Employee Portals
- Fixed Assets Management
- Warehouse Management
Many ERP solutions appear to have these pieces within their software, but in reality, many ERPs are still operating under the “best of breed” approach. They’re really just maintaining multiple integration points “hobbled” together—it just seems like they are all part of the same system.
A tough choice… with a looming deadline
With the recession not far back in the rearview mirror, your company may be reluctant to invest a lot in upgrades, software migrations, or new technologies. After all, there are many older/legacy accounting software systems still in use… and making a change can be a difficult and expensive proposition. To make things even more challenging, some of the accounting software systems are being “retired” by their software publishers, which puts a looming deadline on your final decision.
The 6 questions you need to answer now
Answer these six questions before upgrading or migrating to a new accounting/ERP system:
- What are your growth plans and expectations?
- Do you need additional areas of functionality that would be addressed with a more complete ERP system?
- Is the ERP system being considered developed on a current technology platform? Are all of the modules built on the base platform, or are there external integrations needed?
- Should you consider a cloud-based software system? What are the savings and benefits in NOT maintaining hardware/network infrastructure internally?
- Is SaaS, or a subscription type of software licensing, more appealing and cost effective?
- Are there specific accounting software systems that already have a developed migration path from your system to theirs?
As a final comment, I suggest you hold an internal “strategic evaluation” to determine how your overall systems are running today. Then, bring in your trusted software advisors to continue that strategic evaluation with the up-to-date feedback and suggestions you’ll need to make your choice.
Schedule Your Strategic Evaluation Now.
Contact SWK Technologies at http://www.swktech.com/contact-us/.
Who we are
Over the past 27 years, SWK Technologies has been consistently rated as a top leader in software sales and consulting. To our customers, we’re more than a reseller: We’re their trusted advisor. Learn about the SWK Tech difference at www.swktech.com.